- America: History & Life Database Constitution Search Scholarly articles on history in the US and Canada, from prehistory to the present. This is a great database to search for American history topics.Click here for help with this database.
- Ebooks and Online Videos in the library catalog A listing of ebooks and videos in the library’s online collection relating to the Constitution.
- Constitution of the United States. (2015). Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th Edition, 1-3.
- LexisNexis Academic Library Database containing laws, statutes, and legal review articles, a great place to research the Constitution and legal news and developments about it. Click here for help using this database.
- U.S. Constitution. By: Weatherman, Donald V., Salem Press Encyclopedia, January, 2015
The Writing of the Constitution
- Individual Biographies of the Delegates to the Constitutional Convention
Biographical overview of the delegates who attended the Constitutional Convention from teachingamericanhistory.org
- Founding Friendship: Washington, Madison and the Creation of the American Republic
Article by Start Leibiger from History Today (July 2001, Vol. 51, Iss. 7) which examines one of the most significant relationships behind the politics that produced the American Constitution.
- Centuries of Citizenship: Interactive Constitution Timeline (National Constitution Center)
An online experience highlighting some of the key dates and events that mark more than 200 years of our constitutional history.
Interpreting the Constitution
- United States Constitution: Texts, Commentaries, Historical Texts and Judicial Decisions (Law Library of Congress)
Texts, commentaries, historical texts and judicial decisions relating to the U.S. Constitution.
- Documents from the Constitutional Congress and the Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789 (Library of Congress)
This digital collection contains 274 documents relating to the work of Congress and the drafting and ratification of the Constitution. Items include extracts of the journals of Congress, resolutions, proclamations, committee reports, treaties, and early printed versions of the United States Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.
- Amending America
Article by Bernard Weisberger from American Heritage (May/Jun95, Vol. 46, Iss. 3) that provides an overview of the amendments to the Constitution and the political climate in which they were adopted.
Reading the Constitution
- Constitution of the United States (National Archives)
High-resolution images of the U.S. Constitution, with explanatory notes and transcripts of the Constitution text.
- Interactive Constitution (National Constitution Center)
A clause-by-clause explanation of the Constitution, providing access to basic constitutional facts and interpretation, and searchable by key words and Supreme Court cases.
- Pocket Constitution for iPod Touch and iPhone (Oak Hill Publishing)
America’s best-selling Pocket Constitution Book “The U.S. Constitution & Fascinating Facts About It” is now available on the App Store for iPhone and iPod touch.
- Legal Information Institute U.S. Constitution (Cornell University Law School)
Broken down into linked sections so you can view each part individually.