Today is the federal holiday marking the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., one of the most influential figures in modern history. We celebrate the life and achievements of an individual who turned the struggle for racial equality into a mass movement and made it front-page news. Institutional racism and the private prejudice remain problems to be solved, but Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s movement produced legal protections and rights, and made strides toward making bigotry socially unacceptable.
In honor of this, here are some African American History resources.
- The African-American Almanac
- The African-American Years: Chronologies of American History and Experience
- Encyclopedia of African-American Business History
- Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History
- Encyclopedia of African American Education
- Who’s Who Among African Americans 19th ed.
Also be sure to search our E-book Catalog and many history, humanities, social sciences, and multidisciplinary databases.