We have many databases through EBSCOHost, including our OneSearch on the library homepage. A great feature they have is the folder. Other databases have similar options. We get quite a few calls or chats from students wondering why their saved items aren’t there when they log back in. The issue is that your Empire State College login gives you access to the databases in the online library but it doesn’t make the special features work in those databases. Each database comes from a different company or vendor and they each function a little differently so their special features, like saving for later, require a free login account that you create with that database.
How it looks in OneSearch:
How it looks in other EBSCOHost databases:
How it looks in Proquest databases:
You have to click on the silhouette icon to see the option to sign into My Research, which is what Proquest calls their account.
Once you create a personal account, any items that you save will automatically go into your folder for you to be able to access them easily later. You will be able to use the same personal account in any of the EBSCOHost databases at the library because this EBSCOHost login works for all of their databases. The same goes for other databases, for example we have multiple databases from Proquest so if you create an account in one Proquest database and go into a different one, that account should work for all Proquest databases.
How to create a personal account in EBSCOHost:
- Select the option to sign in, this is often found in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- From the Sign In Screen, click the Create a new Account link.
- The Create a New Account Screen appears with Personal Account entered in the Account Type field. Fill in the fields on the Create a New Account Screen. When you have completed the fields, click Submit.
- If all the information was accepted, a message appears that provides your user name and password. Click OK. You will be automatically logged in as a personal user. You should note the user name and password you created so you can log in at a future session.
Once your personal account is created and you are logged in, you should see My EBSCOHost.
How to use the folder:
To save articles, click the Add to folder link at the bottom of each article listing. To add all items on a page to your folder, click the Alert/Save/Share link and click Results (1-10) at the top of the menu. Result numbers to be added will change as you page through the list of results.
As you add the articles to the folder, you can click the Folder icon (or the Go to Folder View link) and review which items have been added. The Image Quick View feature provides the ability to view thumbnails of the images in an article right from the Folder screen.
You can print, e-mail, save, or export many results all at the same time using the Tools in the right column.
If you have signed in via My EBSCOHost, any search results that you collect in your folder will be automatically saved at the end of the session.
You can also create custom folders to sort the articles that you save. You can specify which folder you want to save to when you click Add to Folder.
How to create customized folders:
- Click on Folder in EBSCOHost.
- Click on New next to My Custom (see below).
- A form should appear where you can create a folder name and add any notes you would like. Hit Save.
For more information about creating or using a personal account in EBSCOHost or how to use the folders, please visit an EBSCOHost database through the library website at www.esc.edu/library and select Article Databases. From there scroll to E and choose EBSCOHost. Once in an EBSCOHost database, click on Help on the upper right hand corner and browse for your topic.